Summer has started to glare on us with full strength and with that, all the hair problems have returned. There is not a single lady in my acquaintance who is not complaining about dandruff, itchiness and dull hair. Being one of them, I was searching for the solution from the end of winter. Eureka! I’ve found this DIY Aloe Vera Gel For Hair wash recipe aka your very own natural and homemade shampoo.
Other day, I was discussing some of the summer hair problems with my mom. Then my father suddenly gave me the idea of this hair wash. The idea behind this hair wash is actually quite old. It was originated from a few of my father’s neighbourhood aunties. I just added aloe vera gel to customize it to fit my needs. Interested in full recipe? Read on!
Things You Will Need & Why Do You Need Them:
1. Red Lentil: Red Lentil is a rich source of air-building protein and several hair growth boosting nutrients like Vitamin B and Follic acid. For my hair wash I soak red lentils overnight and stain out the water content. The nitrifying agents get dissolved in water in this way and the water becomes translucent. As red lentils contain maximum amount of good elements I am using this; other lentils are also good substitutes of it.
2. Lemon Juice: Lemon juice gives luster to the hair and fights with dandruff causing microbes. Another important thing is, being rich in fruit based acids fresh lemon juice also helps to restore the pH balance of the scalp. Maintaining proper pH is essential for devoiding microbial and fungal growths in the scalp. Instead of lemon juice apple cider vinegar or any other citrus juice can also be used.
3. Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe vera is again rich in vitamins and enzymes that help to repair the damages in the hair and scalp due to pollution and excessive exposure in the harsh sun. The aloe vera gel freshly extracted from plant would have been the best option. Since I do not have access to it I had to limit myself for stores bought ones.
4. Honey: Honey is a natural emollient and it is an excellent hair conditioner. It brings movability and softness to the hair. Honey prevents the moisture contents captured in the strands of hair to get evaporated. Hence, it is another necessary constituent of this hair wash.
5. Rose Water: Rose water contains Ruh Gulab and the essential oil of rose. The two ingredients are naturally fragrant and their effect is long lasting as well. That is why this ingredient makes my hair wash smell awesome which in time of application gets transferred to the hair making the malodour problem of sweaty scalp go away.
6. Mild Hair Cleanser: We actually need a mild cleansing agent in our hair wash. I would have used Shikakai water if I had it around. That is why I am using baby shampoo today. Baby shampoo felt way milder than other hair cleansers that I have presently. You can use any hair cleanser of your choice which is not too strong formula wise and preferably free from parabens and silicones.
How to Prepare:
1. Soak 2-3 tablespoon Red Lentil and stain it in a container.
2. Add 1 teaspoon Aloe vera gel to it and give it a good stir.
3. Then, add 1 teaspoon Lemon juice and ½ teaspoon honey.
4. Now it’s the time for adding 1 teaspoon of mild cleanser. Do not forget to mix well.
5. Finally add ½ teaspoon rose water and blend completely to make your own hair wash.
*According to your hair length and thickness make necessary changes to the amount of ingredients keeping the proportion same as mentioned.
How to Use?
This is a mild hair cleanser for the days you don’t want to rip off your hair’s own moisture content. I prefer to wash my hair 2 times a week with this concoction when I have not oiled my hair the previous day. You can also use it as the co-wash cleanser.
1. Since this pack already has lemon in it, it works on light dandruff. If you have extreme dandruff, you can add ½ tablespoon of your medicated dandruff shampoo for instant effect.
2. You can add paste of Curry leaves in this hair wash to prevent premature greying of hair.