Hey, I am sure that many of you have of oily, combination and acne-prone skin just like me! In this write up today, we shall be talking in some detail about Top 10 Must Have for Oily Skin In Your Skincare.
I totally agree that there are many problems that crop up due to the oiliness of our skin type. But with the right kind of care and products this problem can be totally tackled.
*Post may contain affiliate link
Before beginning, I would like to highlight that there are certain advantages of having oily skin too! You get to enjoy some amazing perks such as delay in appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
So, it is a win some and lose some situation for all skin types. Accept what god has bestowed you with and be happy!
1. Face Wash – Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser
2. Toner – Thayers Alcohol Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
3. Aloe Vera – Nature Republic Aloe Vera Soothing Gel
Drugstore Skincare Routine For Oily Skin Beauties
1. Foaming Cleansers: Foaming cleansers work better for oily and acne-prone skin as their lather helps to deep cleanse by removing grime and excess sebum from the face, chin and neck area.
These also help to unclog your facial pores by uprooting the debris in your pores. These cleansers often have SLS which is not considered to be good for the skin.
If you Google about SLS, you will find many debatable information. However, as long as the SLS is in small & allowed quantity, foaming cleanser is a good bet for oily skin.
If your skin is sensitive to SLS or you don’t wanna incorporate it in your skincare regimen anyway, then you need to switch to a mild face wash. It is mostly gel based and produces relatively less lather. But this doesn’t mean they don’t clean thoroughly or whatever!
Key Ingredients: If you have oily skin, look out for ingredients like Tea tree oil, multani mitti, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide etc. in your face washes. These keep oiliness at a bay while protecting your skin from acne.
2. Alcohol-free Toners: Toners are often ignored when it comes to must-haves skin care for oily skin. I am so certain because I’ve been a part of that clan!You must not skip toner. I am not a big fan of astringents that strip off the moisture and sting like hell!
If your skin is sensitive to SLS, then you need to switch to milder face washes which are gel based and produce relatively less lather.
If you have oily skin, look out for ingredients like Tea tree oil, multani mitti, Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide etc. in your face washes. These keep oiliness at a bay while protecting your skin from acne.
Recommendation: Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash
However, milder toners perpetuate the process of cleaning by removing product build up and leftovers from your face wash.These also help to maintain your skin’s PH balance and tighten your pores to give you a refreshed skin texture.
Key Ingredients: Pick options with Tea tree oil, Green tea extracts, Lactic acid, Eucalyptus oil etc.
3. Aloe Vera gel: Aloe Vera gel is a multi-purpose product which can be used as moisturizer, face packs, face massage gel etc. This gel is a boon for oily and combination skin as it helps to decrease acne and does not clog your facial pores. Win win!
This can be used on a daily basis as a night time moisturizer as it gives a cooling sensation on face and it is a herbal preparation.
Read this amazing post about benefits of Aloe Vera gel for skin and how you can use it.
4 Light-textured moisturizer: Lotions are designed to seep into your skin quickly and fully. Hydration is much required by all skin types to strengthen your skin’s moisture barrier.Choose an oil free, light textured moisturizer.
I know, we have this notion that oily skin or even combination one for that matter, need not be moisturized heavily as it’s already greasy.But believe me, I’ve experienced oily + dehydrated skin in the past, and apart from my skin looking pathetic, it feels worse & just totally sucks!
5. Mild daily-use scrub: A mild daily use scrub helps to unclog your face pores by removing dead skin cells and impurities. Clogged pores are often the main culprit and can lead to problems like: Acne, Blackheads & Whiteheads, etc.
So, a mild scrub that can be used twice or thrice a week before retiring to bed at night is a great way to exfoliate your skin.
If you have sensitive skin then you should limit scrubbing to one to two times in a week rather than doing it every day.
6. Light Serum: Serums that are meant for oily skin should unclog your facial pores and help to maintain skin’s natural PH balance. They hydrate your skin from within and imparts a healthy glow.
You should look out for ingredients like: Green tea extracts, hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, retinol etc. to clear up and refine your facial pores and exfoliate dead skin cells.
7. Clay based face pack: Next in our drugstore skincare routine, is clay based face pack. When sweat gets mixed up with sebum, dead skin cells, environmental dirt and pollution, it can lead to clogging up of facial pores and the obvious – ugly pimples.
Using a clay-based mask for your oily skin on a weekly basis will help to reduce your skin care woes. Clay based masks help to suck out the impurities from your skin. These also reduce shine and oiliness on your T-Zone.
I’m not much of a fan of masking everyday trend of Instagram. I feel it’s just a marketing strategy and not good for skin in the long run.Sheet mask is another emerging Beauty trend. They contain goodness of the active ingredients which can be used to give your skin a boost on the go.
While I don’t think sheet masks can replace the good old actual masking, they’re still a suitable option.
8. Active Charcoal Mask: These masks serve multiple purposes as acting as a mild scrubbing agent, absorbing excess oils, unclogging facial pores and tightening them. So, you should definitely invest in an activated charcoal face mask if you have oily skin.
Regular use of charcoal face masks is also believed to give you an even looking complexion with lesser blemishes and scars.
9. Micellar Water For Removing Makeup: Oily skin beauties must always double cleanse their face after removing makeup. Micellar water is a hot trend in the beauty industry right now.
It consists of oil molecules which work like a magnet to remove dirt, oil, and impurities up and away from the skin.
You should always use an oil-based cleanser first to dissolve stubborn makeup products followed by using a foaming face wash to remove residual makeup and other impurities.
10. Cleansing Wipes & Blotting Papers: Now, you cannot always carry your stash of beauty products around the town. So, for people on the go, blotting papers do the trick of soaking away extra oil from the face. Also, cleansing wipes to which extracts of Aloe Vera or neem have been added work as a great way to express clean your face.
11. Sunscreen: Raise your hand if you have skipped sunscreen! Now take a shot for everyone that raised their hand…not!!
Saving some time here, definitely checkout this ultimate guide for sunscreen.
That’s all the Top 10 (+1 bonus!) Must Have for Oily Skin In Your Skincare! You need not do all these steps everyday but I just wanted to include all the stuff! So here it is! Let me know your favorite skincare product for oily skin in the comments below.