Hi Guys! Today at JD, we are at back-to-school mode because the upcoming discussion is all about basic skincare essentials aka skincare starter kit. Typically there are three kinds of beauty conscious people. I will put the absolute beginners (majorly teens or post-teens) in the first category. The second category girls follow just a basic skin hygiene routine while the final category will home the ones who emphasize on problem-specific skincare.
If you ask me, I will queue myself in the third category because it has always been my priority to take care of my oily and acne-prone skin.
Affordable Drugstore Skincare Starter Kit For Beginners
Having a healthy and problem-free skin makes one stand out even with no makeup (Psst.. I’m not talking about no makeup look! ;)).
In this article, I have tried to bring together a Complete Basic Skincare bundle needed for a proper skin hygiene regimen on a budget. All the below mentioned products are quite affordable and within a decent range.
Anyone who is thinking about building up a skincare routine or trying to improvise existing skin care habits and curate their own skincare starter kit will certainly gain something from it. So, grab some snacks and let’s read on to know what are the must have in your skincare starter kit if you’re a beginner.
I’ll urge you to have a skincare regime for yourself, girl! Skipping your sunscreen as it is cloudy out there or that moisturizer because you have oily skin won’t help you in long run. Well, if I stretch it, a whole new post will pop up right here and you’ll come hunting for me, haha!!
1. Facial Cleanser: Cleansing the face from all the accumulated debris and impurities twice a day is the first and foremost thing in facial skin care. A good facial wash helps to deep cleanse the face and unclog the pores without over-drying.
Clarifying face washes work best for oily and oily-combination skin whereas dry skin gets its best from non-foaming, cream or oil based facial cleansers.
• Himalaya Herbals Oil Clear Lemon Foaming Face Wash is great purifying faces wash for oily to combination skin. Its foam based formula takes care of pimples without over-drying.
• Patanjali Orange-Honey Face Wash is a non foaming gel wash perfect for combination to dry skin. Read its detailed review here.
2. Exfoliator: Our skin has a nature to shed its uppermost layer which forms a dead layer of cells over the surface of living skin. Exfoliators scrub off this dull layer to reveal fresh and healthy skin from underneath. It is a good practice to defoliate the skin 1-2 times a week and for this various scrubs with variety of abrasiveness can be used.
• Do you want a deep cleansing and blackhead removing exfoliator? Try Lakme Blush & Glow Strawberry Face Scrub and you will love the result!
• If you have sensitive skin, VLCC Rose Face Scrub may come handy. It has tiny soft granules in a gel base that scrubs off the dull skin without scratching.
3. Toner: Toning is the third step of our basic skin care regimen. This step returns the required moisture to the skin that was lost due to facial cleansing and prepares the skin for the next steps. Oily skin people should use astringent type skin soothing lotion to limit the oil secretion of the skin and toners for dry skin should be moisturizing.
• If you have dry skin Patanjali Gulab Jal is a must have for you. This rose water contains rose essential oil to rejuvenate the skin.
• For oily and acne-prone skin Ayur Astringent Lotion is a good option. If you want something mild, you can DIY your own toner and here is how using aloe vera gel.
4. Facial Serum: Facial serum is a kind of fluid concentrate that gives you a problem-specific skin care solution. There are facial serums available for pimple problem, hyper-pigmentation or premature ageing. These serums have higher absorbance so they show results faster.
I suggest you to let the serum stay overnight and hence apply it before heading to bed. This will ensure that the serum has enough time to work wonders!
JD Suggests: VLCC Snigdha Serum is an all-in-1 lightweight serum. It treats pigmentation and gives brighter skin.
4. Moisturizer: Moisturizer holds immense importance to skin’s well being. It not only hydrates, plumps and softens the skin but also helps to prevent signs of ageing by maintaining skin’s elasticity. According to the skin type, one should choose the moisturizer. Water or gel based moisturizers are perfect for oily skin but for dry skin rich and creamy moisturizers are needed.
Lacto Calamine & Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel are two great moisturizers for all skin types. A thin layer of any of the two will settle your skin’s moisture thirst.
5. Night Cream: Night cream is a heavy formula moisturizer than heals and plumps up the skin when you sleep. Regular use of a good night cream has multiple benefits. It prevents premature ageing and keeps your skin healthy.
JD Suggests: Lotus Herbals Nutranite Night Cream is a great night time skin rejuvenator that works for all types of skin.
6. Under-eye Moisturizer: The skin under your eyes is way more delicate than the rest of your facial skin and this area does not have any oil gland. So, an under-eye moisturizer is a must to nourish the under-eye area to prevent wrinkles and Crow’s feet.
JD Suggests: Aroma magic Under Eye Gel (for oily skin) and Homemade Aloe Oil (for dry skin)
7. Face Pack: Facial masks works like a problem-related X-Factor that rejuvenates and firms the skin. An ideal face pack for oily skin should be a purifying mud based products that is able to absorb excess oil from the skin and deeply cleanse the pores. For dry skin, a moisture-restoring cream based pack or serum drenched mask sheet is best suited. Peel of masks work for every skin type.
• Himalaya Neem Peel-off Mask for all skin types.
8. Lip Balm: If you want to have plump, hydrated and pigmentation free lips, you will have to be regular with good quality lip moisture balms. Lip balms with different richness and tints can be used. Coconut or almond oil also works wonders on lips.
• Maybelline Baby Lips has humongous varieties of slightly tinted, non-tinted and richly tinted moisturizing lip balms. They are a must-have for all!
• If you want to go all herbal or want something with heavy formula then Lotus Herbals Strawberry Lip Balm will meet your needs.
9. Body Wash: Along with the facial skin, body skin also needs thorough cleansing to stay healthy and problem-free. So next item for your skincare starter kit is Body wash. They provide the means for cleansing the body the gentlest way possible. A good body wash never rips off skin’s natural moisture like a soap, it nourishes the skin.
JD Suggests: Dove Body Wash is a great pick for oily and normal skin where as Nivea Body wash works good for dry skin.
10. Body Lotion: Our body skin does not have sufficient oil glands that is why, the skin of our body needs to be moisturized externally though the application of body moisturizers. It is essential to apply body lotions or butter or any other kind of body moisturizer every time after skin cleansing round the year.
JD Suggests: Vaseline Cocoa Spray Moisturiser or the Nivea Nourishing Lotion Body Milk can be ideal pick. Dove Body Lotion is also an option for oily and normal skin whereas Himalaya Soothing Body Lotion will work for all skin types.
11. Sunscreen: No skincare routine is complete without sun shields. Sunscreens in various forms (gel, lotion cream or spray) protect the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun and prevent sun-damages like pigmentation, tanning, premature ageing and other skin diseases.
Application and frequent reapplication of a suitable sunscreen to the exposed parts of the body is extremely important for everyone from every skin type and age-group.
JD Suggests: Lotus Herbals 3 in 1 Matte Sunscreen and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock with SPF50 are two of the best sunscreens in Indian market. These sunscreens protect the skin from harsh UVA and UVB rays without causing sticky sweaty feeling.
12. Tan-removal Products: Tanning is a common concern among the ladies who have to stay out in the sun for considerable amount of time. It takes just a little bit of time and effort. Just replace your day-to-day skin care essential items with appropriate tan-removal products to revert back to the original complexion!
JD Suggests: Clean & Clear Fairness Cream, suitable for all skin types and Himalaya Tan Removal Orange Face Wash for all skin types can be a good pick to get back your natural glow.
Sheet masks are kind of shortcut to facials and can help to achieve your natural glow back.
So, that is what a basic and simple skincare on a budget looks like. I’ve tried to keep all the products as affordable and pocket friendly as possible. Most of the above mentioned products in the skincare starter kit are for less than 200 bucks.
And ohh, I feel this is the most basic product list, a skincare regime should have. Also, these products are not organic or natural or 100% pure! Unfortunately, they do contain chemicals and preservatives. Even Patanjali products do have chemicals and permitted additional ingredients to them. So, as always, I’ll recommend to checkout the ingredient list before purchasing. These products work amazing for me and I love them but it might not be the case for you!
That’s a wrap! Over to you! What’s your favorite skincare product which you may want to recommend to our JD FAM readers? Share in the comments below and I may add it here to this skincare starter kit, if it is a money saving yet amazing product!
~ S. Ganguly
Checkout these sick DIYs if you’re a DIY-aholic!!